Wednesday 2 April 2014

Assignment 2 - Weave test piece


Support:  I used a large (22 x 30 inches) screen printing frame to construct a weave from torn strips of shirt material.  There is no support as such but I'm considering ways in which this might ultimately hang.  Could it work as a suspended piece without being attached to a hard background support or 
could it be work as a weave within a frame?  

Process:  I firstly deconstructed the shirts and then proceed to tear these into strips. Using drawing pins, I  wove these together  - one of the fabrics was dark with a grid like design and the other was light with fine stripes.  I wasn't sure how mixing the pattern/colour of the fabric would affect the outcome since I intended to paint over it.  I deliberately did not obliterate the underlying pattern when I came to paint it so the pattern can still be seen in image 1.

Although this is still early days in terms of what pictorial elements, (if any) will appear on these weaves, I am looking at this from a number of standpoints.  Yes, it is a weave but it also functions as a grid.  It could be digital pixels, it could be building blocks.  It speaks of organisation and repetition and yet its underlying structure is firstly a thread - a thread that functions 

1.  Completed Weave with Acrylic paint



2.  Close up of weave in process of being painted



3.  How the weave was constructed on the frame

No comments:

Post a Comment